Click on El Paso Public Library for more information on their summer reading programs.
The New Mexico True Summer Reading Challenge is open to all New Mexico elementary school students, ages 5 to 12. All participants submitting a completed log showing they have read six books will receive a New Mexico True bookmark and certificate. Students submitting a log with 12 or more books read alongside an essay explaining why they love New Mexico will also receive a bookmark and certificate, and will be entered into a drawing for one of the following grand prizes:
- One reader and three of their family members will receive an all-expense paid trip Disneyland in California.
- Two readers will enjoy a balloon ride with Governor Martinez and First Gentlemen Chuck Franco.
- Four readers will become ABQ BioPark Junior Zookeepers for a day, including a behind-the scenes tour and admission tickets to the ABQ BioPark Zoo.
- Three readers will receive an opportunity to meet the UNM Lobos Head Basketball Coach, tickets to a game, be announced on the court before the game, and receive an autographed ball signed by the team.
- Three readers will receive an opportunity to meet the NMSU Aggies Head Basketball Coach, tickets to a game, be announced on the court before the game, and receive an autographed ball signed by the team.
- One reader and their family will receive a “family four pack” for the 2018 New Mexico State Fair, including four admission tickets into the Fair and four tickets to the one of the Fair’s concert/rodeo events at Tingley Coliseum.
- TO READ MORE, click on the fire truck.
Share examples of good interactive educational websites that parents and young kids can explore together. PBS KIDS Lab offers the newest educational games, activities and mobile apps, for kids PreK to grade 3.There are lots of other quality websites for kids — here are a few more of our favorites:
Click on these online resources!
Have you heard about book talks? This is a wonderful way to get your children involved in reading this summer. After they read their book, video tape them as they discuss the book. Then, let them share with other family members. Happy Reading!!
Check out this video on the importance of fluency!
This website has some FANTASTIC ideas on reading:
Are you looking for some great Spring reading activities? Check out this website: http://www.scholastic.com/parents/resources/collection/seasonal-activities/activities-projects-springtime
How to Raise a Reader
Check out this article on how to raise a reader.
APPROACHING THE NEW YEAR WITH READING ACTIVITIES!
As we approach the new year, are you ready to begin a new reading program with your child? We would love to see your posts about new books that you are reading.
Do you need some ideas for activities? Check out this site – Reading Is Fundamental: http://www.rif.org/us/literacy-resources/activities/monthly-activity-calendars.htm
Let us know how these work out for you. Hope to see your application for your child to participate in our tutoring program.